What Is Metabolism And How Can You Improve It?

Metabolism is the process by which your body converts food into energy. It’s a complex set of chemical reactions that helps to break down nutrients from food so they can be used for energy, growth, and cell repair. In order to keep your metabolism running optimally, it’s important to understand what it does, how it works and what you can do to improve yours. Knowing about metabolism booster supplements can also benefit those looking to optimize their metabolic rate.

Understanding metabolism

Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the number of calories you burn at rest in a 24-hour period. Although BMR accounts for about 60% of the calories burned in a given day, physical activity (both planned exercise and everyday activities such as walking around) accounts for the other 40%. The total number of calories burned in a given day is then known as your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE).

Boost your metabolism

One way to boost your metabolism is through diet and nutrition. Eating smaller meals every three to four hours throughout the day rather than one or two large meals will help keep your metabolic fire burning strong throughout the day; eating plenty of lean proteins such as fish, chicken, eggs or tofu; choosing whole grains over processed ones; and consuming healthy fats such as avocados, olive oil or nuts can all help boost your metabolism. In addition, drinking plenty of water throughout the day will help flush out toxins that can inhibit your body’s ability to burn fat efficiently.

Exercise to boost metabolism

Cardiovascular exercise such as jogging, swimming or cycling is key when trying to maximise calorie burning; these types of activities help to increase heart rate and stimulate more efficient calorie burning over time. Resistance training, using either machines or free weights, has an even greater effect on TDEE because muscle requires more energy than fat to maintain itself – thus increasing the resting metabolic rate over time! High-intensity interval training (HIIT), which combines short bursts of intense effort with periods of lower-intensity recovery, is another great way to get a lot done in a minimum amount of time and still get maximum results in terms of boosting your metabolism.

Supplementary support to boost metabolism

In addition to diet and exercise, there are several natural supplements that have been clinically proven to help boost metabolism, including caffeine, green tea extract containing EGCG polyphenols, synephrine from bitter orange peel extract, capsaicin from hot peppers and garcinia cambogia extract containing HCA hydroxycitric acid. There are many combination ‘metabolism booster’ supplements that combine several ingredients, making them an easy choice if you are looking for extra support in this area.

Identifying possible barriers to optimal metabolic function

In addition to lifestyle changes, there may be underlying medical conditions that inhibit optimal metabolic function, such as hypothyroidism; if this is suspected, it should always be discussed with a healthcare provider who can recommend testing as needed, along with appropriate treatment protocols if indicated after diagnosis. Other potential impediments include medications such as antidepressants or cardiovascular drugs that can lead to weight gain due to specific side effects directly related to slowing down metabolic processes within cells, or hormonal imbalances caused by extreme stress levels that block the production of necessary hormones such as DHEA needed for optimal metabolic function.


Maintaining optimal health goes beyond simply counting calories – understanding how our bodies work within certain parameters enables us to more easily take control of our own wellbeing, using both dietary changes, exercise regimes and metabolism booster supplements when necessary. Learning how our bodies interact with different foods plus environmental influences gives us the power to make changes whenever we want to achieve better overall health goals naturally!